Saturday, October 09, 2010

Dealing with Opposition

I recently received a question from Joanna:

"How do you deal with opposition to the teaching of the word, be it from people in the cell group or people outside the church who I try to share the word with?"

This was my response:
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Joanna, thanks for your question.

I actually have had little direct opposition from not-yet believers. But with those whom I know are not actively searching for God, I try to enter into dialogue and conversation about matters, rather than preach at them or try to teach something they aren't interested in learning. [Same approach you take with children and teenagers at times.]

I frequently pray the promises of Is 55:11 "[My word] will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."

Opposition from inside the fellowship of Christ should be handled as dialogue, going back to Scripture to see what it says, praying together, learning from one another. There have been a number of times when I've been corrected over the years, and...it's not exactly fun, but appreciated. I'm a disciple, too. Disciple means "learner."

Sometimes people have opposed me because they have strong convictions on topics which differ from mine. I choose not to to break fellowship with others if our convictions differ on disputable matters, and are not essentials to Christian faith.

If you are running into challenges in your cell group that make it hard to teach, you might find this product useful:

http://www.teachtochangelives.com/NoMoreFrustration

Keep on faithfully teaching to change lives,

Glenn

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Any other thoughts you would share?



No comments: