Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Encouragement

Since I've written books about Bible teaching, and coach others on how to be more effective, most people probably assume I never struggle at it.

Truth is, it's my calling, so it doesn't matter how much I struggle with it. And I find joy, even as the work is hard. But there are dry days in Scripture. There are times when I can't figure out how to create an introduction, or a life application, or make some topic sound the least bit interesting to a group of people. There are periods when I do not "feel" close to God.

This used to bother me. A lot. I was sure I wasn't spiritual enough, or mature enough, or there was some yet unconfessed sin I had missed. Or maybe I needed a new "formula" or approach that God would bless.

It's true that I wasn't mature enough. (And I'm still learning and growing.)

So now I just plow ahead with Bible study and prayer. I persist. I persevere. If I'm tired I will keep going on. I will catch myself from wandering around aimlessly, and refocus on Jesus. I am a teacher, called by God to be His tool to change lives. And He does work in me as He does work through me. Praise be to His Name!

No comments: