Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Use Cartoons to Advance Your Teaching Points


Cartoons can be devastatingly effective at getting important ideas across. If you're looking for something to change up the pace, you might find that a cartoon is just right. For example, the humor in this cartoon might help you introduce a lesson about "publicans."



Good sites that compile cartoons are:




Another approach is simply to search Google (use the image search option) using the keyword 'Cartoon' and other keywords related to your topic. For example, searching for 'Cartoon tithing' yields over 9000 choices.
If there is a specific passage you're teaching from, try including that reference in the search terms. That will really cut down on the number of cartoons you find, but might help you zero in faster.
Remember to give credit for cartoon sources and follow any copyright restrictions.
Finally, keep in mind that cartoon humor can be biting. Make sure that everyone will think it's actually funny before you share it. (Test it out on some key people first.) And most important, make sure the cartoon advances your teaching points -- if it doesn't, it's only a memorable distraction!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice to hear from you again Glenn
delighted that you also have a sense of humor, yes cartoons can be funny, The Lord Had A Sense Of Humor.We must be joyful, Before I finish let me ask you this.
What do you call a sheep with a machine gun and a big knife?
LAMB--BO... However Glenn I more or less have my web site now finished www.pastorlaurence.com.
I mention you as one of the good guys. check page RECOMMEND. I need to learn how to make connections to Paypal&my book for downloading.
I have designed an ecover for my book, AMEN I'm getting smart.
God Bless You Glenn,and have a nice
Christmas. Pastor Laurence.Belfast