Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Help Your People Learn to Study the Bible in Depth

One thing that I wish more teachers did was encourage the people God gives them to teach by showing them how to study the Bible themselves.

We are not some special class of citizens, simply fellow disciples of the same Master.

It will not take away anything from your "status" as a great Bible teacher if you share how you study the Word and help people learn to study the Master's Word for themselves. Quite the contrary, in fact!

I'm teaching a six week series on Luke 15 now and each week I'm giving them a strategy they can use to study a Bible passage in depth. So far we have covered:

1. Read the passage out loud.

2. Read the passage repeatedly. (I had someone time me while I read Luke 15:1-7 aloud -- only 45 seconds. It became obvious that everyone has time to read short passages repeatedly over a period of days.)

3. Look up all the cross-references.

So there are three more to go! Point people to simple practices they can do, and you are helping them move further along the path of becoming a mature disciple, able to hear God's word and obey it.

No comments: