Saturday, February 17, 2007

Why Teach This Way?

A Bible teacher emailed me recently. "I'm not interested in 'facilitating question-and-answer' on a Bible passage. My work is to teach them facts and what it means."

I appreciate his candor. I know a lot of people are more comfortable with lecture approach, and not back-and-forth dialogue.

This was part of my response to this man:

"My primary objective is that people learn what God wants them to learn from His Word.

"People will only learn if they are engaged. The spray-and-pray method of teaching is demonstrably ineffective. Common observation tells us that people learn more (and learn in a way that's more likely to result in changes in their lives) when they interact with the Word and with one another -- including the teacher.

"Therefore I will stretch myself into uncomfortable places, as necessary, in order to maximize their opportunity for learning. Yes, I have a LOT I can say. And it's good stuff :-) But if I fill up all the time with what I say, then they're less likely to learn what God wants them to learn.

"My secondary objective is to help people develop the skills to learn from God, and not be dependent upon me. So I coach people on how to do this work. I want them to be able to hear God's voice to them, and encourage them to obey it."

No comments: