Wednesday, September 07, 2005

How I Use My Thompson's Chain Reference Bible

I've written before about why I think the Thompson's Chain Reference Bible is the superior study Bible tool for great Bible teachers.

I suspect it's not as popular as it should be because people get overwhelmed with the numbering system and helps. Also, frankly, I think people don't want to have to dig into related passages, they would just rather have some "expert" tell them what it means. The power of the Thompson's method is that it does not interject an author's bias, however well-meaning. Scripture is used to interpret Scripture.

(Side note: my favorite definition of the word 'expert': ex, meaning 'former' and spurt, meaning drip under pressure.)

Here are three ways I use my Thompson's.

First, when I'm studying a passage closely, I will look up the related Scriptures referenced as chain topics in the margin. You simply turn to the index, find the number, and the Bible verses are listed there. Those verses in turn let me move to other related chain topics and verses. Sometimes I feel that I'm working outward in a spiral of related information. My understanding of the passage always increases, but in the context of the Bible itself, not opinions of others.

Second, I like the book outlines. Each of the 66 books of the Bible has a nice outline -- brief information about author and dates, the overall structure of the book, and key verses. These are very helpful to get the broad strokes of a book in my head as I'm studying the details.

Third, I use Thompson's to prepare for topical lessons. I look up a topic in the general index of chain references to get the key ideas and Bible passages. Thompson's already has those structured into categories. For example, if I want to prepare a lesson about forgiveness, I will immediately have this nice outline, with supporting Scripture :

Divine forgiveness promised
Human forgiveness commanded
Examples of divine forgiveness
Examples of human forgiveness

I also have notes linking me to the topics and verses for pardon, restoration, repentance, God's promises, mercy, duty to enemies, retaliation, good for evil, and sin forgiven.

Note: I also use Nave's Topical Bible. Thompson's has more chain reference topics than Nave's Topical Bible, but Nave's tends to include more verses under key topics. Both are valuable. I rely on Thompson's to give me the seminal verses for a topic, and Nave's for a more complete study. Nave's does not link topics together as well as the Thompson's Chain Reference Bible.

I also love the many helps available in the Thompson's -- character biographies, maps, archeological information, harmonies of the Gospels, and lots more.

I urge you to get a Thompson's and use it. I've written a free special report about this essential tool that you may want to read. It's at

http://www.teachtochangelives.com/thompsons.htm

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this. I have two Thompson's (a KJV and a NIV)which I haven't used for years because the system is intimidating. You have inspired me to get them out and make good use of them. I believe God has called me to write a book and these resources will be a big help in that.
Blessings
Linda Rubenack