Thursday, May 15, 2008

Last Minute Lesson Prep

I coach Bible teachers to have a number of short lessons and devotions in their "back pocket" for those times we're called on to teach with short notice. And I also believe that the best devotions are the ones which come out of your personal devotional life -- the Lord is usually opening His Word to you in order that you can share it with others.

There's another "last minute" preparation situation.

This is when you've actually known about the teaching assignment for a while, but just didn't get the preparation done. Maybe you procrastinated until the last minute, firttering away the time. Maybe your planned time was used instead on good things that distracted you.

I really appreciate Peter Mead's counsel in this matter:

"If I genuinely have had to prepare at the last minute, then I ask God for help and know that He understands. But then there is a second part to it too – if I have procrastinated and end up preparing at the last minute, then I confess that, ask for forgiveness and still ask God for help."

This seems exactly right to me, depending upon the grace and help of our loving Lord in both situations -- rather than working to justify ourselves.

No comments: