Thursday, May 15, 2008

It Takes More Dirt Than You Think

We had 18 trees taken out of our yard a couple of days ago. Some were too originally planted too close to the house, some were dying. It was an amazing process over 6 hours -- 10 guys, chain saws, chipper, two trucks to haul away the chips, stump grinder -- and a lot of hustle.

So now I need to fill in 18 holes and plant grass.

First step is to pull out more of the roots. The stump grinder does a great job, but there are still loads of roots around the edges, and I needed to pull them out. I worked over two holes in the front yard with a mattock and yanked out a nice pile of roots.

Then I picked up ten 40lb bags of dirt at our local Ace hardware (because I like to support the local hardware store) and brought them home in the back of our 1987 Saab. I expected I'd get 3 or holes filled, then repeat the process a few times.

Wrong.

I emptied all ten on 1 hole in the front yard. One. 400 lbs of dirt for that hole!

I'm sure there is a Sunday School teaching illustration in here somewhere :-)

New tactic needed -- get a 3 ton load of dirt delivered to our house.

Did I mention my muscles are aching today?

No comments: