Wednesday, June 20, 2007

What Do Hardware and Hebrew Have In Common?

Some guys seem born knowing how to do home repairs. Not me. I'm a "measure-twice, cut-three-times, abandon-the-project" guy.

But since the home repair stuff needs to get done, I have tokeep trying. I look at books and listen to other people talkabout it, but it still doesn't make a lot of sense what I'msupposed to do. Sometimes the French and Spanish instructionsfor the tools make about as much sense as the English!

That's why I go to my local hardware store and get their advice.They've done this stuff, they've used the tools and materials, they know what works and what doesn't, and they can show me whatto do. (I should also mention that they are VERY patient with me,because I'm a pretty slow learner. Sometimes they've explained things several times to me!)

It's the same with studying the Hebrew and Greek words in Bible passages. Great Bible Teachers like you should know how to do this.

But if you know how, you're in the minority, Glenntest5.

I surveyed almost 4000 Bible teachers in late 2006 and learned that less than 15% felt comfortable looking up original word meanings and using them in their teaching.

Here are three common situations -- are you in one of them?

"I just rely upon my commentaries and study notes for this." If this is you, then you're missing wonderful opportunities tolearn more from Scripture, and give more in teaching.

"I know I should be looking up Hebrew and Greek words, but Idon't know where to start." It's actually pretty easy, once you get some coaching. But I agree, it's intimidating at the start, until you get some help.

"I've tried computer Bible study software but it's complicated to use, and I don't know what to do with what it gives me."Computers can make things faster and easier, but you might need some hand-holding, and you still need to know how to use what the software tells you.

You can learn how to do basic word studies in Hebrew and Greek. I know this because I've taught other teachers how to do it.

But I could hand you the tools, or give you a tiny-print instruction sheet in 4 languages, and it probably won't be enough. Just like my home repair hardware situation, you're going to need some understandable instructions and patient coaching. You need to know what tools to use, and how to use them.

What you really need is the opportunity to watch over someone's shoulder while they do it. And that's *exactly* what you can do!

Learning how to do word studies in Hebrew will be like a visit to your friendly hardware store. And you'll never have to say, "It's Greek to me" again.

How is this going to be possible?

Video. And it's going to be available for you Tuesday, June 26th.

Stay tuned for more...

No comments: