Monday, December 18, 2006

Appropriate Vulnerability Gives Credibility

Yesterday some adults in the class I was teaching told me that they paid more attention to what I said because I was open about my own struggles. (I was talking about praying for people that I didn't want to be with myself.) It was a good reminder to me of an important principle:

Appropriate vulnerability gives credibility

Why? Because people can identify with you. You are not talking at them from some ivory tower position, but as a fellow disciple in process.

(Notice that I said "appropriate" vulnerability. Check yourself carefully. There are some weaknesses and sins that you should not discuss with just any group. It is especially important not to put relationships at risk by airing out unresolved difficulties.)

No comments: