Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Getting Unstuck

One of the realities of Bible teaching is that you sometimes get stuck. You can't think of what to do. Or maybe you just lose some of your passion. You feel over-whelmed.

I call it "being stuck."

I've discussed this phenomenon with a number of teachers.A frequent result of being "stuck" is that you have this weird drive to find new material. You wind up thinking like this:

"If I just get a newer study Bible, I could get some new ideas from the study notes. I wonder if Lifeway or The Navigators have a new study guide. Maybe I should check out that other commentary that so-and-so mentioned. I bet I'd do better if I switch to another Bible version. Actually, I wonder if God wants me to be teaching at all!"

And those kinds of thoughts just accelerate until you're ready to go off and do almost anything else except what you should be doing.

Learning how to get "unstuck" is a very important skill to develop.

Here are my two radical, counter-intuitive tips to get unstuck:

1. Slow down. Don't be like the drunk man, unsure of direction, who speeds up. Remind yourself that the Lord is going to help you, because He cares deeply about His sheep (including you!)

2. Go look at "old" stuff. At least 100 years old.

I'm serious, dear teacher. Our Lord has arranged for Great Bible Teachers in every generation, and the Word has not changed for thousands of years. There are plenty of powerful sermons, devotions, and books available.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to newer writing. It's how we speak to this generation. But much of the Church today has lost appreciation for "thegreat cloud of witnesses" who have gone before us. Andwe have much to learn from saints-now-glorified, dear teachers. "There is nothing new under the sun."

I recommend this material for getting you unstuckbecause it is high quality, time-tested, and yet will feel fresh. Reading this (and don't forget to read itout loud for even more powerful impact) will move your mind and spirit into a new groove. You'll be unstuck!

Where do you find the best "old" stuff? Here are some links to free material to get your started:

Charles Spurgeon sermons
http://www.spurgeon.org/index/aindex.htm
E.M. Bounds on prayer
http://www.raptureready.com/resource/bounds/em_bounds.html
William Law, "A Serious Call"
http://www.ccel.org/l/law/serious_call/htm/i.htm
A collection of great Puritan sermons
http://www.puritansermons.com/toc.htm

No comments: