Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Recording Your Lessons

I actually record most of the lessons I teach. In many cases I will make the recording available to people who missed it or would like to listen again. And it's amazing how much you can learn about improving your teaching if you listen to yourself. [Frankly, it's humbling! For a guy who is coaching so many other people to teach, I have lots of room for improvement!]

If you'd like to do this, invest in an inexpensive digital recorder, like this one. I use the external mike, and slip it into my pocket.

I get questions like this one periodically:

"Hi Glenn, I'm listening to your [audio lesson on getting ready in the next 30 days] and had a thought. Are you teaching aBible study now? If so, would you be able to record the lesson? Don't do anything unusual or for the 'show' just record a regular class. This would be an excellent model for others. We could see you put into actionwhat you teach."

Now if you record your lessons, you need to be cautious about how you use them. Be sensitive to the fact that people in the classes make comments -- and don't publish the recording without their permission. If you get permission in advance, then understand that it might inhibit the free flow of Q&A, because people become self-conscious.

You see, recording something like a sermon doesn't usually concern as many people -- it's more like a speech with just one person talking. Interactive lessons are different.

No comments: