Sunday, November 05, 2006

It's Jesus' Message, Not Yours

If you're feeling great burdens in your teaching ministry, and struggles with getting lessons put together, then here's an insight to come back to:

Your teaching ministry isn't really your ministry -- it's Jesus' ministry!

You are participating in His ministry work. A lot of burdens come off when we stop hoping that Jesus might come alongside and make our ministry just a little lighter.

I know this is true. I know this is true. But I need reminding, frequently.

I hope you enjoy this story from Steve Seamands. He felt terrible burdens getting a series of sermons and workshops together, under a tight deadline. Listen to his words:

"After several days of fretting, I got up one morning to pray. At the time, I was engaged in a verse-by-verse devotional study of the Song of Solomon. That particular morning, I was meditating on verse 2:8: "The voice of my beloved! / Look, he comes, / leaping upon the mountains, / bounding over the hills."
Mountains and hills in Scripture often represent obstacles that confront us. That day, my obstacle was the sermon I had to prepare for the conference. As I meditated on this verse, Jesus, my beloved, spoke to me: "Steve, why are you so uptight? This is so easy for me. It may seem like a mountain to you, but it's a molehill to me! I can leap and bound over it effortlessly. I have a sermon I want to preach to the people who will be gathered there. I'm going to preach it through you. In fact, it's going to be fun! Come on, let's run together."

You see, dear teachers, the lesson and class time are easy for our Master. It's going to be fun to run together with Jesus!

No comments: