Monday, July 24, 2006

Two Tips

Angie Frederickson sent me these two tips recently, and gave me permission to share them.

Tip 1: Use different color paper for multiple handouts

"I am teaching a class on how to teach the Bible and have used many handouts for reference sake. I learned from a professor at Multnomah Bible School to use various colors of paper so I can say, "Take a look at the blue page, or yellow or whatever." It has been beneficial as a time saver and avoiding confusion."

Tip 2: Practice with props ahead of time

"I might suggest practicing the prop ahead of time. I was using an empty glass on a sponge to show we are employ glasses without God's Holy Spirit (however, sometimes filled with hot air). I explained the glass was us, the water was God's Spirit. I poured some water in the glass demonstrating God's Spirit filling us and as there was more of Him, there was less of us. When I got to the top of the glass exemplifying being filled with The Spirit, I stopped and asked what happens if this is left like that. They got it when they said, "It become stagnant and the water begins to evaporate." I told them they had to keep on being filled. Then I showed them that as this happens, you begin to overflow into the dried up Christians lives (the sponge) and they begin soaking up God's Spirit. Thirsty non-believers desire the Spirit. But ,when we stop overflowing they can dry up and you become an ineffective vessel.

"So, the point is, as I practiced this at home I discovered I needed to cut a hole in the sponge because the glass tipped over. This would have been disastrous in class. Yes, I already had the sponge in a shallow container so everyone could see."

* * * *
If you have tips you'd like to share, send them to me at info@teachtochangelives.com

No comments: