Friday, November 11, 2005

What Version or Translation?

There are many debates about which Bible translation is best. We're wonderfully privileged to have so many choices in English!

For Bible teachers, I recommend you use the version that your students are using. This gives you the best opportunities to teach in congruence with what they're reading. This is not about you -- it's about what's best for your group.

In my home church, where I do most of my teaching, that's the New International Version. I also use other translations occasionally when I believe the translation
a) helps people get past the "oh I've heard this a jillion times" dullness, or
b) helps me communicate additional meaning or depth of a word or passage

In other churches, teaching from the NASB or NKJV might be more appropriate. Work from the translation that will help your students the most.

Keep your focus and energy on the teaching process, and refuse to get sucked into debates about the "best" translation. If you want to put energy into translation work, support Wycliffe!

No comments: