Saturday, January 15, 2005

What's Hard to Believe?

I enjoyed Marvin Olasky's blogpost about responding to people who can't believe the amazing miracles in the Bible. Good teaching strategy here!

"One reader sent me a letter apparently floating around on the Internet that begins this way: "Dear Believer, You asked me to consider Christianity as the answer for my life. I have done that. I consider it untrue, repugnant, and harmful. You expect me to believe Jesus was born of a virgin... women come from a man’s rib... the entire world was flooded, covering the mountains to drown evil... the Nile turned to blood... people were cured by the sight of a brass serpent... Jesus walked on water...If you believe these stories, then you are the one with the problem, not me."
The reader asked how I'd answer such an attack. My quick response goes like this: "Make another list of unbelievable-sounding stuff. For example, I'm typing on something hardly bigger than a book, with no wires attached to it, and what I type (or photograph, or videotape) will be sent through the air to you so you can see it almost instantaneously. Or, I can send a box to India through the air on a piece of machinery weighing hundreds of tons so that the person in India can have it tomorrow. Biblical miracles sound crazier than that only if we think the material is real and the spiritual unreal. On such matters, presuppositions determine believability."


Read the whole thing, and interesting comments from readers.

No comments: